ESPA Annual Conference
ESPA 2021 Annual Conference
January 21-22, 2021
A Virtual Event
Event Service Professionals – Time to Re-connect and Re-engage!
The ESPA Annual Conference will now be virtual on January 21-22 and we hope you’ll join us. We look forward to gathering our event service professional members together for a dynamic opportunity to re-connect. Read President Jamie Huckleberry’s letter which describes why we are transitioning our January 2021 event to virtual.
In the spirit of our theme, #ServicesStrong, it’s our goal to deliver ESPA benefits to as many members and service professionals as possible. Whether face-to-face or virtual, we are always excited to meet, share best practices, learn and network.
Topics will cover current challenges and solutions unique to Event Service Professionals. This is a great opportunity to earn CMP credits for services-centric education.
SPARK: Act like an Employee and Think like a CEO
Larry Perkins, CFE, CPP, CMP
Vice President/Assistant GM, PNC Arena
Reflections: Buck Seventy-Two: A Destiny of Will
Jessie States, CMP, CMM
Director, MPI Academy, Meeting Professionals International
WEC Grapevine: It Took a Village – Pandemic Considerations with Local Partners
Melinda L. Burdette, CMP, CMM, HMCC
Director, Events, Meeting Professionals International
WEC Grapevine: It Took a Village – Pandemic Considerations with Local Partners
Dr. Elizabeth Lombardo
Creating the New Normal
Optimizing your mindset is integral to your success in the present and future
Schedule of Events
All times are posted in ET, Eastern Time Zone.
CMP credit information to be posted shortly.
- Kansas City Convention & Entertainment Facilities Tour, Featuring Bridging the Gap
- 18th & Vine Experience
- The Kansas City Gangster Tour – Note: This tour departs at 3:00pm
Don’t miss this opportunity to collaborate and learn with your fellow peer leaders
- Friday afternoon, January 21, 2:00-5:00pm. Featuring roundtable discussions and a workshop led by our Keynote Johnny Quinn, titled Developing a Champion Mindset – Strengthen your resilience and engagement to thrive today and into the future.
- Saturday morning: Join roundtables dedicated to topics that are impacting leaders in Event Service positions.
Note: The Friday session is an optional program with a fee of $69.
In order to grow, you must overcome challenges. Challenges come in different shapes and sizes for everyone. They can make you or break you. Johnny delivers straight-forward strategies to break through barriers so you can thrive at work and in life. Challenge accepted!
About Johnny Quinn
Johnny Quinn was cut three times, lost 2.6 million dollars in NFL contracts and blew out his knee. Then he became an Olympian for the United States of America. From an NFL failure to a U.S. Olympian, Johnny’s “what’s next” attitude led him to success he never imagined.
Johnny Quinn is a highly sought-after speaker for businesses and organizations of all sizes. He is a U.S. Olympian in the sport of bobsled and competed at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia. Johnny is also a former pro football player spending time with the NFL’s Buffalo Bills, Green Bay Packers and Saskatchewan Roughriders of the CFL. Johnny has been featured on various media outlets around the world, such as: ABC, BBC, CBS, CNN, ESPN, FOX, NBC, TIME, USA Today and the Wall Street Journal.
Fun fact: Johnny is the third person ever to have played in the NFL and to have competed in the Winter Olympics.
Topic 1: Meeting Planners Tell All
A group of local meeting planners will join us for a jam session! They will tell it all – what they love, what they need, and what they wish for. Attendees will have an opportunity to ask the questions they have always wanted to ask planners but couldn’t ask their own clients. (Space is limited based on the number of planners that will participate.)
Topic 2: The Hybrid Pivot
The HYBRID session for all your “hybrid” questions. In a world where technology and business demands are ever changing, how will your team help clients showcase assets in your own destination to attendees that are not physically there? Stay on top of the latest trends and discover your unique value proposition to increase engagement for virtual attendees. Learn what you can you bring to the table through virtual and hybrid content. This session will embrace how to successfully service a hybrid meeting while taking into consideration services which are based on fulfillment levels deemed by peak room nights.
- Current trends and projections for virtual and hybrid meetings
- Technology tips on how to integrate local flavor onto the virtual “stage”
- Case study for a successful hybrid meeting
Topic 3: Innovative Services: A New Era of Support Tools
As the world experiences new breakthroughs in public health and sustainability, our industry has naturally followed suit. From marketing materials to giveaways- what new and innovative tools can Event Professionals use post-pandemic? Join us as we discuss what CVB’s and Hotels have been doing to support their meeting planners.
- What creative tools have event professionals been able to implement with meeting planners to rebuild trust in safe in-person meetings?
- What’s trending post-pandemic for promotional giveaways, welcome amenities, and gifts a meeting planner can take home on a flight?
- How is the value of event servicing being maximized post-pandemic?
- How has marketing, advertising, and destination videos changed since the pandemic?
Topic 1: Surprise & Delight: Managing New On-site Client Expectations
Ever wonder how to master expecting the unexpected? Over the last two years, our industry has had to adapt to constant change. One of the changes we have had to overcome has been managing the new expectations that our clients have. In this session, we will dive into ways of anticipating our clients’ needs in a way that can help the services side of the industry stay one step ahead in surprising and delighting our guests. Join us as we go over the NEW expectations for amenities, set-ups, food & beverage trends “post-covid”, site visits and the cleaning standards that our clients are looking to see.
Topic 2: All About the Tech: Digital Tools & Trends
Digital Technology is trending more than ever during these evolving times. The hospitality community has joined together to stay on top of trends and provide the latest platforms and assets to ensure the highest level of customers experience.
Topic 3: Beyond the Sessions – Creating Community Connections & Authentic Experiences
How destination organizations leverage intellectual capital within their communities with increased partnerships and engagement with Destination Champions, i.e., community leaders, local business partners, Colleges and Universities, industry experts and thought leaders.
Takeaways from this session will include how to increase economic growth that can be derived from Community Partnerships at meetings and events as well as how to connect conventions and events with local community influencers. Discussions will also touch on Volunteer Ambassador Programs and how to harness the power of volunteers and community resources- this has gotten harder post Covid. Finally, we will look at how to create community experiences for group attendees.
Team Engagement and Building your Security Culture
Securing Mass Gatherings through Exceptional Focus, Performance and Control in Extreme Situations
Mark Herrera, Director of Safety & Security, IAVM
In this session Mark will provide an overview of:
- How the health pandemic has impacted security
- How do you build the right culture so that everyone has buy in? What is your security culture?
- What are the current challenges that the event industry needs to focus on?
- How do you build heightened awareness?
Through a checklist of nine objectives, Mark will describe how to build a security culture, increase heightened levels of Awareness and De-escalate undesired behavior when facing potentially aggressive Situations.
- Increasing personal safety & decreasing stress when encountering someone uncooperative
- Securing facilities with a bottom to top approach
- Utilizing De-escalation strategies and techniques to avoid potential explosive situations
- Programming the mind through mental preparation to see beyond one’s normal pre-conditioned expectation as it relates to potentially disruptive behavior and by providing a tool for maximum team engagement.
- Enhancing conflict management to assist one in preventing confrontations from becoming volatile situations
- Enhancing professionalism and assisting employees in recognizing the impact their words or actions have on the public
- Controlling the body’s physiological effects during uncomfortable situations in order to gain maximum control with a positive outcome
- Reducing vicarious liability by training employees how to handle encounters skillfully and professionally thereby, reducing potential complaints and lawsuits
- Leveraging guest services to mitigate safety and security risks
Shhh.… it’s a Speakeasy, sponsored by Visit KC! Calling all guys and dolls to dress to the 9’s and channel your inner flappers and gangsters as we celebrate ESPA “roaring 20’s” style. Experience firsthand how we earned the nickname “Paris of the Plains” and remember the secret password is SERVICES!
As our industry rebounds, are you prioritizing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion?
There has never been a more relevant time for organizations to prioritize Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. And Event Service Professionals have the power to make a DEI impact in their own destinations and venues.
DEI fosters higher degrees of engagement, productivity, and innovation that contribute to increased revenue.
When we make a case for the value of DEI, there are two crucial perspectives, the Moral Case and the Business Case. The Moral Case refers to our shared humanity and how when one group suffers, we all suffer, and when we invest in the equity of every group, we all benefit. The Business Case, diverse companies are more likely than ever to outperform less diverse peers on profitability.
Implementing your DEI strategy is the actual walk behind the talk. It is not enough to talk about it when it comes to creating change with meetings and events. There must be action behind the words and meaning behind your DEI comments as values.
When working with vendors and suppliers, develop broader diverse and equitable perspectives for problem-solving and creating inclusive creative service solutions. Be sure to reflect the kind of diversity your clients and attendees want to see, so they know they are being represented and understood. Diversity and Inclusion are essential to building an infrastructure that mirrors the destinations we represent.
This session will provide subjects that will enhance your professional expertise:
- Understanding The Fundamentals of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- TDM The Black CVB Leaders Open Letter to the Industry Research Report
- Action Steps and Resources for Diverse, Equitable, and Inclusive Meetings
- How to deliver more Equitable Hybrid and Virtual Meetings
- Credentialing and Self Improvement Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Recommendations
Topic 1: Know the Risk: Cybersecurity Incident Response
How well do you understand the risks of cybersecurity? According to a recent industry report, hospitality ranked third among industries compromised by cybersecurity breaches in 2019, and the industry suffered 13% of the total incidents. Cybercrime, which includes everything from theft or embezzlement to data hacking and destruction, is up 600% as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic as reported by Embroker. Nearly every industry has had to embrace new solutions and it forced companies to adapt, quickly. What steps do we need to take to incorporate key planning, preparedness, and cybersecurity response functions as a venue? How do we integrate our Federal, State, and local partner agency roles, resources, and responses into a cyber incident? This session is an opportunity to learn more by using an event scenario from a leading cybersecurity expert. We will examine both the IT aspect and the consequence management aspect of a cybersecurity incident during a live event at a large venue.
Topic 2: We know you want more: DEI & Business Events, A Deeper Dive
In this session, we will do a deeper dive into the Language of Diversity, providing a tangible and substantive takeaway for DEI awareness and learning. Our guest speaker, Greg DeShields, will present on the importance of understanding who we are talking to, how pronouns play a role, guide us on able/disabled community interactions and he will share best practices for integrating DEI concepts into your day to day interactions. As part two of the session, our DEI Task Force will share a list of actions that Event Service Professionals can take now in your own venues and destinations.
Topic 3: The ABCs to CMP
Are you thinking about earning your CMP designation? Here is an opportunity to join like-minded peers to learn about the benefits of becoming a CMP. Experienced CMPs will share their knowledge in an open conversation. Here’s your chance to have your questions answered about what is involved and to explore best practices on how to prepare for the exam. We’ve got you covered
Topic 1: Making a Splash on Social Media During Large-Scale Events
From craft beer to comic books, Big 12 basketball to big-name productions, Kansas City delights in welcoming large-scale events designed for locals and visitors alike. It’s a no-brainer to capitalize on these events via social media, but proper execution requires planning, engagement, identification and follow-through. Our speaker Derek Byrne, Visit KC’s Social Media Manager, has played a key role in some of KC’s large-scale events and will share their tips and tricks on executing coverage in a meaningful, memorable way.
Topic 2: We Know We Are Valuable: How do We Prove it?
Proving the value of your Convention Services Team is hard, but how do we do it anyway? In this session we’ll discuss ways to measure, explain and share the metrics that matter. We’ve all shifted, adjusted and taken on more responsibilities during COVID. Now it’s time to showcase the value and breadth of services that we provide!
Imagine having the ideal set of communication skills to break down barriers, inspire action, heal relationships, solve problems and create real connection. What if you had the confidence and courage to share your ideas, speak with conviction and honor the worth of your own voice? You’d be unstoppable: both brilliant in business and happy in life.
As an international award-winning speaker, Amazon #1 best-selling author, and 20+ year coach and consultant, AmyK Hutchens introduces leaders and go-getters to the power of taking life one conversation at a time. Her Magical Phrases and communication techniques, used around the globe, have helped close multi-million dollar deals, save marriages, advance careers, heal family dynamics, and align individuals with their “right” and best lives.
AmyK’s humor and wisdom shines through in this compelling and energetic program filled with practical tools that will inspire & equip you to communicate confidently. Join us and get the results your heart desires!
On Sunday afternoon, we will get out into Kansas City to some great venues for mobile learning. Pick your preferred workshop from our options below.
(Note that capacities are limited so we reserve the right to move you to a different program if our capacity is reached.)
- Behind the Scenes with a National Exhibit: Learn what goes into the planning and execution of a national exhibit behind the scenes at Kansas City’s Union Station. Attendees will get a chance to experience firsthand and up close Auschwitz: Not long ago. Not far away exhibit. This groundbreaking exhibit with its record-breaking run-in Kansas City is truly a site to behold and attendees will be treated to a pre-tour talk with a special guest who will share the story and take-aways from the process to get this coveted national exhibit to KC.
- The State of Sports Events: Attendees will head to the Negro League Baseball Museum to talk with local sports experts as they give their special perspective on what it takes to bring world class events to Kansas City and the work that goes into “cross promoting” these events. They will share what they look for when working with their service professionals to make these events a success across the country.
- The Platinum KC Experience: Platinum XP is a single-source, full-service event planning agency. It starts with an idea and then see it come to life. Experience the creative process in all its forms through the creative eyes of Platinum XP! Learn hot industry trends and virtual media ideas for conventions.
- A Creative Exchange: When faced with servicing a convention group that is seeking an opportunity for a unique regional experience for their attendees…look no farther than your own back yard. Curating dynamic community partnerships is not only a current trend but also a cost-effective way for planners to introduce a host city to their attendees. In this session we will show you how to share the very best of your city when you care to put your creative style front and center…hint, hint!
Bonus Content! Mobile Workshops – Education on the Go
Please note to receive Continuing Education (CE) Credits for attending sessions, you must pre-select all sessions during the registration process. Only sessions listed on the agenda with a CMP Credit noted will be eligible for CMP Credit. You may add/delete sessions prior to the conference. You will only have CE Credits tracked for those sessions you selected. Following the conference, your sessions will be listed in the My ESPA Portal under the “My ESPA” drop down on the “My Continuing Education” page.
|Advanced Rate (valid through January 8)||General|
|Active ESPA Member||$299||$350|
|Member Group Discount (3+ registrants)
Please contact ESPA to register at this rate.
|Hardship Rate (members on furlough or laid-off)
Please contact ESPA to register at this rate.
|Student Rate (must provide proof of student status upon request)||$25||$25|
The virtual Conference will take place on the PSAV Chime Live platform. We will provide you with a link to the platform in January, as well as tips for the best viewing of the event.
Hardship Rate Requests
Members who are experiencing a furlough or layoff due to COVID-19 can request the hardship rate of $150. Please send your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cancellation / Substitution Policy
There are no refunds for cancellations once registered, however, If you are unable to attend, you may make a registration substitution. All substitutions requests must be sent in writing to email@example.com.
Registration will not be final and access to the event will not be provided until payment is received. Please contact ESPA headquarters at firstname.lastname@example.org with any registration questions.
All attendees are requested to review the ESPA Registration Disclaimers, Consents & Code of Conduct
THE EVENT SERVICE PROFESSIONALS ASSOCIATION
NEED HELP GAINING MANAGEMENT APPROVAL TO ATTEND?
This brochure describes the value of professional development and education for services managers. Print this out and provide it to your manager – it contains quotes from meeting planners about the value they place on their CSMs, including when making re-booking decisions.
ESPA Recognitions – Submit a Nominee for a Deserved Recognition
Leadership in Services Award – NOMINATIONS DUE DECEMBER 18, 2020
Considering the current climate in our industry, ESPA is launching a new award that recognizes Event Service Professionals who have demonstrated leadership in 2020 and have been proactive and positive in the face of adversity. With the many obstacles that COVID has presented this year, these individuals took the lead to keep the well-being of our industry or of their own community top of mind.
To be nominated for this award, a person would have demonstrated leadership in helping to shape their own organization in response to COVID, initiated community services that impacted your local charities, or demonstrated leadership in our industry either through ESPA or other professional organization initiatives. These individuals have a positive, can-do attitude that impacted others, or our industry, in a meaningful way.
Nominate a service professional you feel is deserving of this award! Recipient(s) will recognized at the 2021 Annual Conference.
EXECUTIVE EXCELLENCE AWARD – NOMINATIONS DUE DECEMBER 18, 2020
Is your manager committed to excellence in Convention Services?
Each year at the Annual Conference, ESPA recognizes an executive for his or her commitment and dedication to the profession of event service and to giving key support and leadership to members of their services team. As a member of ESPA, if you feel your organization has an executive who is a mentor, an ESPA supporter and convention services advocate, if he/she encourages your team’s professional development, submit your nomination!
Please fill out our online Nomination Form – winners will be selected in the Winter of 2020 and will be invited to attend and receive the award.
Criteria and Guidelines
- Nominee supports staff participation in ESPA
- Nominee must be an executive of an organization which has an ESPA member. Executive is defined as a VP or higher at a CVB; a member of the executive committee or GM at a hotel; or a VP, GM or Executive Director at a Convention Center.
- Nominee personally and consistently supports quality assurance in the organization’s convention services operations.
- Nominee supports staff development, growth and continuing education.
2020 recipient: Bill Bennett, General Manager, Valor Hospitality
MEETING PROFESSIONAL OF THE YEAR – NOMINATIONS DUE DECEMBER 18, 2020
Event Service Professionals, has your planner client shown leadership and partnership with an event in 2020?
This award was designed to recognize the hard-working meeting professional who exhibits personal and professional characteristics that create an environment that focuses on teamwork, as well as shows support for the event services profession.
This is your chance to recognize a planner that represents the best of the best! Event Service Professionals know better than anyone when a planner is prepared, shows professionalism and is a great leader when producing an event or meeting. Why not recognize them for their dedication and hard work?
To submit a planner for consideration, please fill out our online Nomination Form – winners will be selected in the winter of 2020 and will be invited to attend and receive the award.
Criteria and Guidelines
- You must have worked with meeting planner in an event services capacity , i.e. as a CSM, during the past year
- Shows superior leadership and management qualities before, during and after the meeting
- Recognizes the importance and supports the role of the CSM in the meeting planning process
ANNUAL WILLIAM H. JUST, CAE, CMP MEMORIAL AWARD – NOMINATIONS DUE JANUARY 8, 2021
ESPA Members who are CMP designates or are studying for the CMP – Apply to participate in the ESPA virtual annual conference.
The Annual William H. Just CAE, CMP Memorial Award recognizes an ESPA member who has earned or is earning their CMP certification and is in good standing with the association. The award was established in honor of the late William H. Just, CAE, CMP who founded ACOM (now ESPA) in 1988. Just also played a key role in the establishment of the CMP program. Bill Just embodied valuable attributes including being a visionary, incorporating creativity, professionalism and leadership into his endeavors. This award recognizes these qualities in its recipients.
ESPA members can submit an application which includes an essay on how the CMP designation has been beneficial to them, why they decided to receive this certification and details on their industry and community involvement. The winner will receive a complimentary registration to the next ESPA Annual Conference which helps to support their CMP continuing education status.
To submit yourself for consideration, please fill out our online Nomination Form – winners will be selected in the winter of 2020 and will be invited to participate in the virtual annual conference.
Congratulations to 2020 Bill Just Memorial Award Recipient, Heather Walker, CMP, Director of Client Experience, VisitDallas.